Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Above the tombs of dead ancestors

Our young hero realizes his dream of seeing the celebrated Duchesse de Guermantes with his own eyes while she is visiting Combray for a family wedding. She resides in Paris at the center of society.

"...while Mme Guermantes sat in the chapel above the tombs of her dead ancestors...her gaze...rested momentarily upon myself, like a ray of sunlight straying down the nave..."

"I felt it important that she should not leave the church before I had been able to look at her for long enough, reminding myself that for years past I had regarded the sight of her as a thing eminently to be desired."

"I cried out within myself: 'How lovely she is! What true nobility! It is indeed a proud Guermantes, the descendant of Geneviéve de Brabant, that I have before me!'"

"I fancied that I had found favor in her eyes, that she would continue to think of me after she had left the church...And at once I fell in love with her..."

The Duchesse and our young hero will in the future become acquainted, and their story lasts through all six volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment